The Victoria Jubilee Hospital is the largest referral maternity hospital in the English Speaking Caribbean. The hospital was established in 1887 when prominent Jamaicans built a maternal hospital in honour of Queen Victoria who celebrated her Jubilee Anniversary that year. In 1891 the building was opened for occupancy by His Excellency Sir Henry Blake, Governor of Jamaica. The bed capacity was 12 and it was staffed by a matron and 14 pupil/student midwives. The services rendered always kept pace with the expansion and modernisation of the hospital.
It is located at the centre of several major highways and is surrounded by many volatile communities. Therefore, the hospital treats a number of victims of road traffic accidents and gang warfare.