The Spanish Town Hospital (STH) was opened by Sir Hugh Foot in 1952 . It is the largest Type B Hospital in the island and has statistics comparable to the Kingston Public Hospital, the island’s major referral hospital, which is a Type A facility.
STH is located in St. Catherine, the fastest growing parish in the Island. The hospital not only serves the St. Catherine population but provide services to patients from Kingston and St. Andrew, parts of Clarendon, St Mary and St. Ann.
It is located at the centre of several major highways and is surrounded by many volatile communities. Therefore, the hospital treats a number of victims of road traffic accidents and gang warfare.