The Princess Margaret Hospital is located on the main highway from Morant Bay to Lyssons. It was officially opened and named by Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret on February 23, 1955, replacing the Morant Bay Hospital, which was badly damaged by Hurricane Charley on August 17, 1951. After the hurricane the hospital was temporarily housed in the Morant Bay Baptist Church for a few months until repairs were made to the original structure.
However, the need was seen for a new structure and land was obtained from the Government in Lyssons, approximately one mile east of Morant Bay, for this purpose. At the completion of the building the hospital was transferred to its new home with Senior Medical Officer Dr. F. C. Wright and Matron Guthrie. The structure was officially sponsored and named by Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret.
At that time the normal bed compliment of the hospital was 183 until the passage of hurricane Gilbert when it was reduced to approximately 112 beds. The bed capacity was later increased to 122 beds.
Today, PMH is the only hospital in the parish and serves a population of approximately 120,000 people. The Princess Margaret Hospital also offers services to neighbouring areas as far as Eastern Portland and Eastern St. Andrew.
The hospital is rated as a “Type C” hospital that is, whenever there are critical cases they are transferred to the “Type A” Hospital for specialist treatment.
Princess Margaret Hospital’s staff is approximately 200 inclusive of Administration, Medical, Technical, Support Services and Ancillary workers.
Days Open: 24-hour service daily (Patient Services)
Office Hours: (Administrative Services)
Mon. - Thur.:8:30a - 5:00p
Fri.: 8:30a - 4:00p