The school was opened on September 13, 1976 as a secondary institution with J. L. Whinstanley as principal. There was a certain amount of vacillation about its name, but eventually settled as Catherine Hall High School.
After a few years it was changed to Comprehensive and then to Herbert Morrison Comprehensive High School, being named after Dr. Herbert Morrison, philanthropist.
The aims of Herbert Morrison Technical High School are to:
1. Provide each student with hands-on experience in at least one technical / vocational area to enable him / her to cope with technological changes.
2. Provide the oportunity for all students to experience a broad and balanced education.
3. Enable each student to realize his / her potential in all areas of educational experiences.
4. Prepare students to appreciate the value of co-operative living.
5. Assist students with the transition into further studies and the job market
Is to provide each student with hands-on experience in at least one technical / vocational area to enable him / her to cope with technological change; to educate and train for effective production in the modern world.