The Jamaica Civil Service Mutual Thrift Society Limited was registered in accordance with the Industrial and Provident Societies Act on October 17, 1939, with a membership of one hundred and fifty-six (156) persons. The Society was formed to meet the needs of Civil Servants, to whom membership is confined.
The Society commenced business in humble beginnings at 201 Tower Street, near to the center of Government Operations and remained at that location until February 1942 when the Office was re-located to a small room on the ground floor of the Public Buildings West Block.
The Society’s Office was subsequently re-located to 15 Caledonia Avenue and in 1968 was again re-located to 10 Caledonia Avenue. There was a further disruption due to fire which destroyed part of the building in October 1973.
A temporary move was made to Jacisera Park until in November 1975, when the John McIntosh Building was completed and the Society returned to 10 Caledonia Avenue, the present address.
The objectives of the Society are to foster and encourage thrift and to assist members with loans that are secured by acceptable collateral at competitive interest rates.
The provision of loans to members will enable them to undertake unforeseen and unavoidable expenditure, which their immediate income is insufficient to meet, but which amounts, if advanced by the Society, will allow members to repay over an agreed time period.