OHFA's main objective is to provide financial and material aid to the Old Harbour community in Jamaica, with special emphasis on education and healthcare. In addition to its other charitable activities, OHFA has an ongoing Scholarship & Grant Program.
Since 1994, OHFA has awarded full scholarships and grants to students of the Old Harbour communities entering high school. These scholarship and grants are being maintained each year...
We are a non-profit charitable organization based in the New York area. Donations, gifts and any charitable contributions and support will benefit our cause as stated in our mission statement.
OHFA was founded in August 1993 by nine former citizens from the Old Harbour community now residing in the United States. They got together and vowed to do whatever they could to help the community by supporting the educational and healthcare causes.
They decided to form the organization, write the bylaws and become the first executive body.
Geoffrey E. Cohen
G. Michael Dixon
Rev. Lloyd A. Robinson
We are very proud of these folks who had the insight to start the organization, maintain close community relationship and involvement by forming a Defacto Committee based in Old Harbour.
OHFA is a non-profit, charitable organization that was founded in August of 1993 by nine citizens of Old Harbour, St. Catherine, Jamaica, West Indies, who are now residing in New York.
- To date, membership and associates number close to 500. Membership is open to all citizens, relatives and friends of Old Harbour and surrounding communities. membership is also open to any individual with an interest in our cause.
- Awarded several full scholarships and over 50 grants to students from the Old Harbour and surrounding communities entering high school.
- Donated over 10,000 books, computer equipment including printer and photocopy machine to various educational instutions such as, the Old Harbour Public Library, Old Harbour High School and Marlie Mount Primary And Infant School.
- Financed the replacement of blackboards various educational institution in Old Harbour.
- Donated refrigerator to the School For Teenage Mothers in Old Harbour.
- Donated healthcare suppplies such as hospital beds, wheelchairs, wheelchairs, walkers, dental chairs, adult diapers and blood pressure testing unit to various facilities in Old Harbour.
- Recognized and honored distinguished citizens of Old Harbour for their long, dedicated and faithful service to the Old Harbour communities, in the areas of education, social welfare, sports and helthcare.
- Contributed to the Second Story Building Fund at the Advent Lutheran Church in Elmont. Also provide meals and services to the on-going Advent Lutheran Church Soup Kitchen Program.
- Sponsored U.S. Citizenship drive as a means of informing and empowering our members and the community at large.
- On various renion trips to Jamaica, OHFA members teamed with citizens of the Old Harbour and surrounding comminities to voluntarily refurbish lavatories, paint and performed general buildings and grounds maintenance of two primary schools in the community.
- Sponsored health fairs in association with the Lions Club of Old Harbour. Dentiats and Optometrists from New York travelled to Jamaica and provided professional services for over 4,000 persons to date.